... but it might be said that its location was decided in 1885 when Charles Pott and Richard Sherwood drove out of Perth one August day in their buggy - or was it a horse and dray? They wended their way to Native Dog Swamp, along Wanneroo Road to what is now the suburb of Tuart Hill. There they turned east and travelled through the bush until they came to the wooded slopes of Mt. Yokine, named after the aboriginal word for wild or native dog.
The two decided they would buy an area of approximately 110 acres and duly received their land title, dated October 1885. Ownership of the land passed hands until 1927 when Richard Hesford purchased the property and transferred the land to The Western Australian Golf Club Limited, together with some additional land, making an area of about 182 acres.
This newly formed Company set apart approximately 105 acres for a golf course and subdivided the balance into 212 building blocks facing parts of the course. These they offered for one hundred and fifty pounds. The golf course was to be the bait to attract buyers. The company then rented the licensed portion of the clubhouse to The Western Australian Golf Club Incorporated for two hundred pounds per annum when it was incorporated in 1928.
Many prominent citizens from all walks of life who joined the club up to the end of 1930 were classified as foundation members.
The early war years of 1940 - 1941 saw a drop in membership and the enlistment of forty five men and five ladies in the services. Those joining the services were given leave so they could automatically rejoin the club after the war. Sadly, four former club champions, Jim Cullen, Allan Lutz, Jack Bendon and Austin Foweraker died on active service.
In 1942 with restrictions on labour, equipment and fertilisers, the Club was hard pressed to maintain itself, but due to the selfless labours of those members who were too old for service, plus veterans from the Great War, the club survived through those hard times.
Renovations to the clubhouse have been carried out over the years, with the last major renovation in the late 1990's. The results of the renovation see the Tudor style clubhouse maintain its charm and character for the enjoyment of all members and visitors alike.
The golf course has seen numerous changes over the years, the latest major project in 2000 being the replacement of the course irrigation system, incorporating a lake located between holes one and nine. Not only does the lake serve to supply water to the course, it also provides spectacular views from the clubhouse over the lake to the city skyline.
Following the installation of the new irrigation system, the course has progressed to being widely regarded as one of the finest championship courses in the state. The hard work and dedication of Course Superintendent Idris Evans and his staff was recognized in 2003 with Idris being awarded the 'Excellence in Golf Course Management Award' at the annual conference of Golf Course Superintendents.
So highly regarded is the course that in 2010 the Club hosted the prestigious W.A. Open and was voted 'Best Golf Course (WA)'.
The members of The Western Australian Golf Club look back with pride on our heritage and look forward with great optimism to our future.